Active participation in student and professional organizations provides students with invaluable opportunities to gain experience and connections that may further their career. The School of Journalism and Electronic Media strongly encourages its students and faculty to maintain active memberships in organizations appropriate to their interests.
Student Publications Board Media Outlets
The Daily Beacon - The campus newspaper serving the University of Tennessee Knoxville campus and surrounding community. The paper is editorially independent and is entirely student written, produced and managed. The Daily Beacon is published Monday through Friday during the fall and spring academic terms and weekly during the summer sessions; content is published daily on our website. The paper is free of charge and is mainly supported by advertising.
Phoenix - The Phoenix Literary Arts Magazine has a long history of displaying the current cultural trends of campus life at UT and is currently accepting submissions. All undergraduate and graduate students, alumni, staff, and faculty of the University of Tennessee are encouraged to submit their works of prose, poetry, and art.
*View the Student Publications Board website here.
Diversity Student Leaders Society
The CCI Diversity Student Leaders Society provides an open and accepting community for all students. Our purpose is to provide high quality educational opportunities and to promote understanding by embracing and celebrating the dimensions of diversity within each individual.
Student Associations and Organizations
- Society for Professional Journalists
- NSSA - National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association
- Radio Television News Directors Association
- Kappa Tau Alpha - honorary society for journalism and mass communication students.
Professional Associations in Journalism and Electronic Media
- IRTS Foundation (International Radio & Television Society)
- National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ)
- National Association of Broadcasters (NAB)
- National Association of Hispanic Journalists (NAHJ)
- RTNDA (Radio and Television News Directors Association)
- East Tennessee Society of Professional Journalists
- Tennessee Association of Broadcasters (TAB)
- Tennessee Press Association (TPA)
Academic Associations in Journalism and Electronic Media
- ACA - American Communication Association
- AEJMC - Association for Education in Journalism & Mass Communication
- BEA - Broadcast Education Association
- ICA - International Communication Association
- NCA - National Communication Association
- WCA - World Communication Association
- AAPOR - American Association for Public Opinion Research
- AoIR - Association of Internet Researchers
- ACEJMC - Acrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications